Fixing a Digitech QM1323 multimeter with an intermittent fault

My trusty Digitech QM1323 multimeter hasn’t been so reliable recently. It has been flaky with its readings, and I thought it might be faulty connections where the leads plug into the multimeter.  Resistance and voltage readings seemed like they only worked sometimes, and I was always pushing or turning the leads where they plugged in.

Continue reading “Fixing a Digitech QM1323 multimeter with an intermittent fault”

Solving a Noisy Load Cell Brake when used with Direct Drive wheel

Solving a Noisy Load Cell Brake when used with Direct Drive wheel

Unfortunately, when I started driving with my new OSW direct drive wheel, I noticed that my braking was a bit random and unpredictable.  I checked the raw output with DXTweak, and I could see the signal from the brake pedal load cell was spiking and jumping around with noise.  I figured it must be interference from the big servo motor on my direct drive steering wheel, and I embarked on a multi-day mission to figure out how to fix it. Direct drive motors are pushing a lot of current at a high PWM switching frequency (3.4 kHz), that they are bound to put out some EMI.

Continue reading “Solving a Noisy Load Cell Brake when used with Direct Drive wheel”

BruteForce2 Direct Drive Wheel is up and running

BruteForce2 Direct Drive Wheel is up and running

My OSW direct drive steering wheel is up and running, with a Granite Devices Ioni servo drive on an Ionicube 1x board.  I’m on a budget, so I built everything possible from timber, with many hours of work.  I used some 100 year old palings from a fence we pulled down, which are a beautiful dark hardwood.  I also made an adaptor for the Momo to clamp onto the motor shaft from timber, I shaped a circular piece of timber, cut a 24mm hole, and cut it into two c shaped pieces, with m6 bolts to clamp onto the shaft.  It works perfectly.  I didn’t need to buy a motor mount, enclosure, and b-com connector for the steering wheel, saving hundreds of dollars.  I’m very happy with how it’s worked out.

Continue reading “BruteForce2 Direct Drive Wheel is up and running”

Mitsubishi HF-SP102 AC Servo Motor – Replacing the Encoder

Mitsubishi HF-SP102 AC Servo Motor – Replacing the Encoder

I picked up a Mitsu HF-SP102 servo motor for my OSW direct drive wheel project.  It’s much lighter than a Mige 130, weighing only 6.5kg.  I also like that it is made in Japan.  It has lower inertia than the Mige, and it should put out enough torque (constant 5Nm at 6A RMS, and maximum 15Nm with 16A RMS).

Continue reading “Mitsubishi HF-SP102 AC Servo Motor – Replacing the Encoder”